[ubuntu-uk] This list name/description

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Oct 1 17:22:33 BST 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 04:14:52PM +0100, David M wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user.british
>  about: This list name/description
>
> > It's a minor thing really, but the name of this list is Ubuntu-UK and the
> > descriptive text says "For organising Ubuntu stuff in the UK.", but the
> > banner at the top (and the description in mails from the list) says "British
> > Ubuntu Talk".
> >
> > I don't want to start a semantic argument but UK != GB. Can we get it
> > harmonised one way or the other. I wouldn't want us to be annoying people
> > for this minor issue.
>
> British is the adjective for UKian, for obvious reasons of
> pronounceability. ;-)

Heh, fair comment. I just wanted to raise it before it was raised by someone
who actually cared about these things :) I'm British(English) so it's not
that much of an issue for me personally, I just find that UK and GB get
confusified sometimes and wanted to clarify the situation on this list.

> Yes, it's not properly inclusive, although a citizen of Northern Ireland
> is "British" as far as offical records of nationality are concerned, even
> if they may not see themselves to be so(!).

Also true. It just seemed inconsistent that's all.

Cheers,
Al.