[ubuntu-uk] This list name/description

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Oct 1 15:16:02 BST 2006

Alan,

On Sun, 2006-10-01 at 14:29 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:

> I don't want to start a semantic argument but UK != GB. Can we get it
> harmonised one way or the other. I wouldn't want us to be annoying people
> for this minor issue.

You've confused me and at the risk of starting the argument you want to
avoid, isn't UK short for 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland',
i.e., everything except the republic of Ireland. Doesn't this imply that
UK==GB??

Having said that, I'm not sure where the Channel Islands fit into the
above!

Or is it the proposed use of the list that is bothering you?

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold