[ubuntu-uk] Firefox v2.0 and spell checker file

David Hopkins hopkins81 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 10:41:37 GMT 2006

On 21/11/06, Llywelyn Owen <linux at spamtracker.co.uk> wrote:
> I am bowled over by Firefox V2.0 on my Edgy installation. Of particular
> interest for me is the web form spell checker which does what Google does
> not and that is add new words to a dictionary. Where is this dictionary file
> kept so that I can make backups of it etc? Is it compatible with other
> dictionary files and can I therefore maintain one dictionary file for OOo
> and Firefox?
> --
> Hwyl/Regards
>
> Llywelyn Owen

Hey Llywelyn!

Perhaps try this from a terminal

find $HOME/.mozilla -type f | xargs -I {} grep -H word {}

where word is a custom word you have added to your dictionary.

On mine that got me a file called "persdict.dat", but it could be
different on yours hence the find statement. I usually just backup my
whole .mozilla directory anyway.

Good luck!