[ubuntu-uk] logging into my pc (ubuntu) via another windows pc?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Nov 17 21:34:29 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 07:58:14PM +0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> STONE COLD wrote:
> > Heres what i want to do..i want to log in to my ubuntu enabled pc via a windows terminal over an internet connection...can it be done..and if so how?
> >
> You'll need a static IP first to enable you to connect from the "outside
> world"

Not necessarily. Services like dyndns.org can allow you to have a dynamic IP and have a hostname that "follows" it around. That way you can get to your machine at home
whatever the IP address is.

> and your router to be configured to allow incoming connections to
> it, but you should just make sure that sshd is running (or telnetd if
> you're not worried about secure connections) and you should be able to
> ssh/telnet into it based on its IP.

I don't think I'd advocate using telnet at all, ever.

Not only is there the security issue of passwords going over the wire (or air if wireless) in cleartext, there's also stuff you can do with ssh that I don't think
telnet supports. Funky things like tunneling, x forwarding and reverse tunneling are all ssh only I think.

Cheers,
Al.