[ubuntu-uk] Free vs non-free drivers etc

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Nov 16 08:50:21 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 06:17:45PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> I just wondered what others thought.  How I see it, we're in a perfect
> position to be talking up and demonstrating Linux as an alternative to
> users moving over to Vista and potentially dumping a perfectly good
> computer.  I am getting to the point where I am possibly going to set up
> my own mailing list for Devon to promote Open Source software as I just
> don't think that the local LUG I am a member of is interested in
> anything other than /. style flame wars.

I wonder if the whole thing has anything to do with the fact that Devon and Cornwall
LUG actually call themselves a GLUG - GNU/Linux User Group as opposed to a plain LUG
like most of the rest of the UKs LUGs.

Not saying that's a bad thing, but it's an indicator of the attitude/character of the
list.

Cheers,
Al.