[ubuntu-uk] NTL Cable installation

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 16:41:15 GMT 2006

On 11/9/06, Gary Kearley <gary at kearley.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am moving very soon, into an area which has NTL Cable, now I've never
> had Cable before and need to know what I am dealing with.

I use Blueyonder, in the London area, which is part of Telewest (now
owned also by NTL). I have not had any problems.

You won't be able to reuse your current DSL modem. It'll be a cable
modem. It shouldn't matter at all. As long as what comes out the
*other* end is an ethernet cable, you just plug in and go.

If you get something that plugs into your USB port and not your
network card, that can be a little more troublesome. I have not had to
do this, and will let someone else chime in. I bet, however, that you
can tell NTL that your PC has a network card and they'll give you the
right equipment.

-Eamonn