[ubuntu-uk] New screencast on installing updates

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 23:53:48 GMT 2006

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thought I'd have another go at a screencast. This one is about installing updates as and when
> required. It's only 7 mins long and doesn't go into massive detail, but shows the basics of
> installing updates on Ubuntu. I added the header and footer at the start and end. I'm not
> entirely happy with them but it will do. If someone else has more artistic skills than me (not
> difficult) then please feel free to put together a simple slide.
>
> I've made this one available in both OGG/Theora/Vorbis and MPEG/MPEG2/MP2 format. Hopefully this
> should mean people can play it with little or no effort on any platform. I'd be interested to
> hear feedback from people about platforms and/or players they play on and don't play on.
>
> http://quickones.org/videos/20061108_installing_updates.ogg (10.7MB)
> http://quickones.org/videos/20061108_installing_updates.mpeg (34.4MB)
>
> I am also currently uploading the video to Google, as I believe this can help raise the
> visibility of the team - I clearly mention ubuntu-uk and the URL is shown in the video and the
> text accompanying the Google upload. Having it on Google makes for a very low barrier to entry
> for Windows users to watch these, and whilst flash player is evil and closed, at least it can be
> made to work on Ubuntu.
>
> If anyone is in any doubt about the popularity of Google video for this kind of thing then bear
> in mind that I uploaded all the Hampshire Linux User Group talk videos and in the 3 months
> they've been online there's been a total of around 12000 views and 2000 downloads.
>
> These are "beginner level" at the moment. So I won't be surprised if nobody here
> actually learns anything from them yet. Right now I'm trying to get a handle on the process to
> make it clear and easy for others to do this.
>
> It's a little time consuming the first time you do this, but once you have the process nailed
> you can probably knock out a good quality 5-10 min screencast in around an hour. That includes
> watching it a couple of times too.
>
> In case you're interested in the technical side, I used a different application this time.
> xvidcap (available from http://xvidcap.sf.net) version 1.1.4. It records to a large number of
> formats, but I chose MPEG2 to make it easy to edit the video and then convert to other formats
> later.
>
> I then used avidemux to piece together the three videos (the title page, the main
> body of the video and the end page), which was mind numbingly easy to do.
>
> Next I used audacity to record the audio - which I did on one computer whilst I watched the
> video on another. Of course there's no reason I couldn't have recorded the audio at the time of
> the recording, or recorded it as I watched on one computer - not two. However as I have
> mentioned before, I believe that recording the audio after the video gives a better result.
> [...]
That sounds good.  I'll take a look at it tomorrow at work and show a
couple of the non-Linux users and see what they think.

Having it available in MPEG 2 format should make it easy enough to
convert into a DVD when we have a few of these tutorial videos.

I'm hoping to do an Ubuntu install for one of the guys at work.  I
showed him Ubuntu on my work laptop (running the Dapper i386 Live CD)
and he seemed impressed.  If he does go for Ubuntu on his PC then I
could write down any questions he may have as I think a new Ubuntu user
would be the best sort of person to come up with ideas for what could be
screencasted.

Rob