[ubuntu-uk] Xbox ubuntu connection update!!!

Martin Fitzpatrick martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 11:28:13 GMT 2006

On 07/11/06, STONE COLD <javad_ayaz at hotmail.com> wrote:
> ok heres the thing...ive just tried that....and it wont let me change
> anything in those screens...and the files in those folders are various
> videos and music files im trying to play on the xbox!...so for some reason i
> still cant change permissions on it!!!!????

Did you try Alt-F2 gksudo nautilus and then use that screen to change
the permissions? That gives you super-user rights meaning you should
be able to change permissions on any files on the sytem at all.  You
can select all the files in the directory first.

Another thing that has occurred to me is whether the folder is
viewable/browseable.  To ensure it is, browse the parent folder (i.e.
the one the folder you're sharing is in) and right-click to change the
permissions on that folder.  Make sure that the settings are the same
on the folder (i.e. group read, others read).

> Also..">cd your/shared_directory
> >sudo chmod 644 *  "
>
> where do i enter this above two lines! in terminal?

Yup but only if the method above (using nautilus) doesn't work.  Start
a terminal and then type the following, replacing
"/your/shared_directory" with the path to your directory.

cd /your/shared_directory
sudo chmod -R o+r *

The second line (provided by Eamonn) will do all the directories &
sub-directories.

Good luck,

Martin