[ubuntu-uk] Best method of getting support?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Nov 7 21:36:12 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 08:42:58PM +0000, Andy wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was just wondering what the best way to get help with a problem is,
> So far I have tried:

Depends what your definition of "best" is. If "best" for you is "quickly and reliably resolves
my problem", and you've tried all these and not yet had an answer then that doesn't bode well :)

> Launchpad (not entirely sure how this works)

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+tickets

Click "request support" in the top left. You might want to sign up to launchpad first though.

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+tickets/+login

> So what is the best way of actually getting support, if you can't seem
> to locate the answer in help.ubuntu.com ?
>
> How are people supposed to know which method to use

Well, lets see. In theory is goes like this.

User installs Ubuntu for the first time or has it installed for them. They have a problem and
they need help. First thing they might do is think of going online (assuming their issue isn't
with their net connection).

Open browser
Note "getting help with ubuntu" in big letters
Click through http://help.ubuntu.com/ https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation
http://lists.ubuntu.com/ and http://www.ubuntu.com/community/forums
First link has a nice guide in pdf format. Might print that out if I was inclined. It's got lots
of useful info for the beginner but probably no good if I have a technical issue. The next link
then has links to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToGetHelp and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TroubleShootingGuide which have oodles of really great help in
them.

> Also is it still acceptable to ask for support with 6.06? I know its
> still officially supported but does this only apply to updates or does
> it mean people can still ask for help using 6.06?

As it's supported on the desktop for 3 years and the server for 5 I'd say definately yes.

> One problem I have tried to fix on and off for quite a while and
> though lots of people are reading my forum post, no one answers,
> possibly because no one knows the answer, or should I not be using
> forums?

Personally I'd give the support ticket thing a go. It's very like a forum - but without all the
mess, and better integrated into launchpad :)

The following page details how to submit requests and has a link where you can practice.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportRequests

Cheers,
Al.