[ubuntu-uk] Dapper and Cups in a school environment

tim matthews tim at tui.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 09:04:53 GMT 2006

firstly, let me say how great it is that your school is using open
source. that means that money not spent on commericial software, is
money saved by the school and can be spent for other things.

from what I understand here, you want to use cups for some printers.
your setup is very well done (thin clients, great stuff). however, I did
find one limitation on ubuntu ... using cups.

Ubuntu expects you to use their panel interface for cups, not
http://localhost:661/. I found this out the hard way, if I had known it
would have only taken me five minutes to set up the printing on my
ubuntu box!

maybe you might want to consider using the ubuntu server version ..
maybe then you could use cups itself through its webinterface?

just my guess ... anyway, let me know the solution !

tim