[ubuntu-uk] BBC and open formats??

gord gordallott at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 13:19:13 GMT 2006

Just to say, last night I couldn't sleep for various reasons, so i flick
on my tv and see whats on, end up on BBC News24's business report
program. It happened to be reporting on Microsoft allowing Linux to be
run via virtualisation, all seemed OK but then the news ticker decided
to put a small amount of text at the bottom for people just turning on.
They kept putting these texts at the bottom of the screen and they kept
spelling Linux, lynux. This leads me to believe that the BBC (news team
at least) don't report on floss because they have absolutely no
knowledge of it what so ever, the reporting team seemed to struggle with
the term "open source" as well, asking their local magazine expert "so
who gets the money?".

perhaps what is really needed is education, something for a London based
LUG maybe?