[ubuntu-uk] Microsoft """"supporting"""" Linux

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Nov 3 01:08:13 GMT 2006

Alan Pope wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/02/microsoft_novell_linux/
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116249026689311557.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo
> http://news.google.com/?ncl=http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/02/microsoft_novell_linux/&hl=en
>
> "Microsoft Corp. is entering into an unusual partnership with Novell Inc. that gives a boost to
> the Linux operating system, a rival to the software giant's Windows software, according to
> people familiar with the companies."
>
> Discuss :)
>
> Is this "embrace and extend","keep friends close, enemies closer" or should we be happy about
> this?
>
> Will our windows loving friends now point and say "see, linux is okay, microsoft say so!" now?

They will get advantage from a stable kernel, and then windows will be
'cured'. There will be little benefit in many users then going to the
effort of moving to linux......maybe.

It will also be an opportunity for windows to move into a more modular
structure and less unwieldy, and more opportunity for new thinking,
and skills. It may also blurr the edges of the line we see presently
between windows and linux.

It is not a smile that the crocodile has on its face, it is hunger.
--
alan c