[ubuntu-uk] Uk Loco team forums

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Nov 2 21:33:12 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 08:34:04PM +0000, Andy wrote:
> On 02/11/06, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> > You can't choose which client you read the content in.
>
> If we are defining the client as the web browser then you can choose
> which browser you use.

Er, that makes absolutely no discernable difference to the content whatsoever. Whether you view
uf.org in IE, FF, Safari, Mozilla or whatever, the content and the structure of the content
isn't controlled by me, so my client just renders whatever it's given.

What I say "choose client" seriously think about how different each of these are for viewing
mail:-

Console based email client such as mutt.
Graphical email client such as evolution, thunderbird, kmail - with all the desktop integration
and ease of use that entails
Palm based mail client - for mobile viewing
Mobile phone based client.

What I'm getting at is that the control is lost, you are forced to use a browser, which one you
use matters not.

> > You can't cache it offline easily.
>
> can't wget spider a site? of course re downloading a page because some
> page view number changed.

You're joking of course? Have you tried spidering a forum?

wgetting a bunch of pages is a) a tremendous waste of bandwidth, and b) impossible to tell what
you've read and haven't read. It also means you still can't reply offline.

> It may be easier for longer term things to have a forum, I have kind
> of a lot of email here if I wanted something old. But as I use gmail I
> can search my mail.

There you've illustrated another example. You use gmail to view lists. Gmail is good at that.
Another option removed from you if you go for forums instead of mailing lists.

Cheers,
Al.