[ubuntu-uk] BBC and open formats??

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 2 16:02:52 GMT 2006

On 02/11/06, Martin Fitzpatrick <martin.fitzpatrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure whether you're joking here, but I would be very careful
> about using the word 'lie'.  Lying implies an intent to deceive, the
> accusation of which is slanderous unless you have proof.  Choosing
> your words carefully is important when campaigning - both to avoid
> legal action and being labelled crazy.

Yes I was joking when I said 'lying', maybe I should have been more clear.
In my response to the BBC's response I did use the phrase 'inaccurate'
and not 'lie'

> Check your MP's track record on these issues.

How would I go about doing this?
I have looked him up on <http://www.theyworkforyou.com>

He seems to claim a lot of expenses for computers though:
Centrally Provided Computer Equipment	£1,082
its a pity it doesn't say exactly what that was spent on (this is for
a single year).

> If you visit them in
> person they will be far more responsive (they get a lot of mail) and
> you can put your point across more clearly.

My MP fails to provide any details for visiting them in person, the
only address listed is a PO BOX not a physical address.

> When talking to large organisations try to avoid emotional appeals.
> Instead focus on procedural issues or policy which can be easily
> delegated. Point out contradictions in current policy and give hints
> to as how to correct this.  However, be wary of preaching - people
> prefer ideas they think they had themselves.

My writing skills aren't excellent, I make the common mistake of
assuming that if something is obvious to me its obvious to the reader,
I really must stop doing that.
Will look into this further, see if I can write a nice letter to my
MP. I'm sure I can find an introduction to free software I can borrow
stuff from.

It shouldn't be this hard to get a publicly funded company to allow
all the people who fund them to access their content and not a
selection of people should it?

- Andy

--
DRM: Digital Restrictions Management -- learn about the dangers at