[ubuntu-uk] Re: Functions of this list [Scanned]

Adrian Mitchell AMitchell at dsc.org.uk
Tue May 2 17:33:53 BST 2006

Introducing ourselves seems like a good idea to me, so;

I'm an IT manager for a small-ish (40 people, 2 sites) London based
charity whose remit includes promoting and advancing the uk voluntary
sector, hence the interest with using Ubuntu for community libraries.
My IT knowledge is broad, but unfortunately rather shallow.

It seems to me that Linux/Ubuntu is 'made' for the voluntary sector and
I'm keen to try and promote it - but I currently have little experience
and/or resources to do this.
It also seems to me that the time is right to promote Linux/Ubuntu -
given both the emergent spread and success of FOSS across the world and
the imminent change of the MicroSoft OS, along with all the inevitable
licensing rigmarole that goes with it.

I'm a relatively new Ubuntu user but have been using breezy on my home
desktop (still dual boot with win2k at the moment) and also on a 'spare'
work desktop. I've also experimented with setting up a LAMP type linux
web server, but didn't get very far (lack of time, excess of laziness).

Adrian Mitchell | IT Manager | Directory of Social Change
e-mail: amitchell at dsc.org.uk

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the
recipient(s)
named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and
should
not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person.

Any statement and/or opinion expressed in this message is that of the
author
and does not necessarily reflect those of the Directory of Social
Change.