[ubuntu-uk] Here's one request that may be better handled on the U.K. list

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Tue May 2 17:18:33 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 16:59 +0100, Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> I'm aiming to update to Dapper soon and do a clean install. My current
> system has been dist-upgraded in stages from Warty preview to Breezy
> (and many of the tests in between) and is getting a bit crufty. I use
> my ubuntu desktop on a wireless network, connected to an iMac and
> Windows PC.
>
> Unfortunately, the Ubuntu machine uses a Netgear PCI card that only
> works with ndiswrapper, which means it isn't automatically recognized
> by Dapper and is a pain to upgrade. Can anyone recommend a PCI
> wireless card, which is available at PC World or something similar,
> that *is* automatically recognized and used by Ubuntu, without any
> dodgy ndis layer?

Anyone who answers a question like this has to preface it with "This
advice may change at the whim of the manufacturers, who occasionally
swap the chips they're using on a device without changing the product
number".  So be careful, and try to find out what the latest news is
regarding your chosen product.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Belkin's wireless cards (F5D7000
and F5D7010) using the Rt2500 chips are supported out-of-the-box on
Breezy.  Check out
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/RalinkRT2500
That's what I'd recommend.  Broadcom's BCM43xx chips, in Apples and in
some Linksys products, are almost working without ndiswrapper on Dapper,
but I've not managed to make it work.

Good luck!
Robert.