[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Implementation

Sean Hammond sean.hammond at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:41:08 BST 2006

If all you need is basic office and printing functions, then as far as
I know there's nothing major that Dapper offers that Breezy doesn't.
Dapper does look like it's going to be a big improvement over Breezy,
but for users like this, all they want is basic functionality and
great reliability and stability. Breezy is a very solid and stable
system with good all round features, so I would say go for it.

Once Dapper is released, upgrading from Breezy is as simple as
clicking a few buttons. You don't need to edit config files anymore.
That said, the update does need to download a *lot* of data, and takes
quite a while. It is also possible that an update can go wrong and
require fixing. My advice would be not to upgrade to Dapper until 3 or
4 weeks after it is released as stable, to give any initial teething
problems, particularly problems with the upgrade process, time to be
fixed. And to be honest, if Breezy does everything these people want
and is highly stable, it might not be worth doing the upgrade at all.
I think you should decide by asking the folks how happy they are with
Breezy after a couple of months of it.

If you run into real installation problems, the best contact for fast
help is the ubuntu user help IRC channel, so make sure you have a
spare machine handy with IRC access.