[ubuntu-uk] Re: Configuring grub: how do I determine location of /boot?

David M lists2006 at viewport.ukfsn.org
Mon May 1 23:43:14 BST 2006

Pete Ryland wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.user.british
 about: Re: Configuring grub: how do I determine location of /boot?

> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 06:48:07 +0100, David M wrote:
>> (although, weirdly, if music, etc, is playing at the time, it repeatedly
>> loops the last second or so of the sound that was playing, suggesting that
>> somewhere, deep down, the computer is at least still partially alive..)
>
> The audio looping doesn't necessarily mean any software is still running; if
> there is stuff in the audio buffer it will do this.  Normally if software is
> still running, it will constantly replenish the circular buffer, half at a
> time.

So, it's more the case that the soundcard is happily alive still doing
what it was last told to (and not hearing instructions to the contrary),
but the brain feeding it is pretty much dead? (..he said, rather morbidly)

Nevertheless, with no graphical updates and no acceptance of input in
this state, it's big red switch time regardless.. ;-)

>> Soooo.., how can I find out where /boot actually is?
>
> Typing:
>
> df /boot
>
> will return something like:
>
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda1             75529312  54052356  17640236  76% /
>
> which shows that /boot is part of the /dev/hda1 filesystem that is mounted
> on "/".  That is, it is *not* separate to the root partition.

This is akin to what I get:

david at pepper:~$ df /boot
/dev/hdb5               489285    227541    235640  50% /

So, this means my /boot is part of / (which is on hdb5), so I can go ahead
and run update-grub without too much fear.. =:-O

Thanks for your help,

David.

--
| David M,    __________| replyto email valid <365 days | en, fr, (de) |