[ubuntu-uk] Configuring grub: how do I determine location of /boot?

David M lists2006 at viewport.ukfsn.org
Mon May 1 18:48:07 BST 2006

My system has for a long time been slightly unstable, in that
occasionally it locks up (as far as user input and graphical updates
are concerned) entirely for no apparent reason (although, weirdly, if
music, etc, is playing at the time, it repeatedly loops the last second
or so of the sound that was playing, suggesting that somewhere, deep
down, the computer is at least still partially alive..). I suspect this
is due to a probably shonky motherboard, but I'd like to consider all
options..

I've gathered that disabling acpi and/or apic (with the noacpi and
noapic boot options) may increase system stability in some instances,
and have read the GrubHowto: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GrubHowto

However, this contains the fear-inducing phrase:
"If /boot is mounted on another partition and you use update-grub, then
you may run into problems."

("another partition" from *what*, btw?)

Soooo.., how can I find out where /boot actually is?

My system has whatever-is-installed-in-the-MBR installed in the MBR of
my first hard disk (hda) (which otherwise contains Some Other System),
but Ubuntu itself is installed on the second hard disk (hdb).

Thanks for any advice,

David.

--
| David M,    __________| replyto email valid <365 days | en, fr, (de) |