[ubuntu-uk] Re: Flash usage

Lee Tambiah l_tambiah at linuxmail.org
Thu Jun 22 18:23:28 BST 2006

Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:35:41 +0100 (BST)
> From: Paul Sladen <ubuntu at paul.sladen.org>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Flash at Myspace.com (
> To: British Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, Grant wrote:
> > I found this.... Does this work
> > http://sdc.shockwave.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P2_Platform=Linux&P3_Browser_Version=Netscape4
>
> If you look at this page, you'll see:
>
>   Version:  	7,0,63,0
>                ^^^
> which is the reason for the other suggestion to use the version 8
> designed for MS Windows.
>
> 	-Paul

Also please understand that we cannot blame the floss community for
flash problems. It is propriety and has been badly programmed on
Linux. It eats CPU intensively. We should avoid using these tools
so encouragement can be made to open source it. Granted its a real
issue in terms of freedom, hence why GNASH is under development
right now by the free software foundation. GNASH is the engine, and
you will be able to use that instead. Its just going to be hard, to
get the masses to change to it.

In terms of development its best to always rely on standards and I
personally avoid propriety things. This way it guarantees that all
users no matter what platform will be able to use your site.

I'm hoping java will go open source and I think it will happen, just a
case of how. Imagine that engines could be cloned, cut down to
make a new engine like flash.

If you do use a propriety element in web design Java is probably a
better way to go, due to its good overall support on multi-platforms.
And at least sun do contribute to us GNOME users, and various other
projects.

Regards

Lee