[ubuntu-uk] Fwd: Fwd: ADSL problem

Pat evilcorporation at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 21:41:41 GMT 2006

On 27/12/06, Dave Briggs <d at vebrig.gs> wrote:

> dave at dave-desktop:~$ wget http://slashdot.org
> --19:13:44--  http://slashdot.org/
>            => `index.html'
> Resolving slashdot.org... 1.0.0.0
> Connecting to slashdot.org|1.0.0.0|:80...
>
> [endlessly]
>
> Gah! Any more ideas?
>
> --
> Dave Briggs

Sorry if this has been covered already, but it looks like there might be
some oddities about the way the Linksys ADSL2 modem forwards the ISP DNS
details. (You did say that that was the modem you were using, I think?)

Your output for the wget seems to be resolving slashdot to 1.0.0.0

This guy
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Ubuntu/2006-05/msg01681.html seems
to be having a similar problem, and he mentions a workaround
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StaticDnsWithDhcp)<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StaticDnsWithDhcp>which
appears to involve setting static DNS entries.

I'd try the static dns entries if you haven't already.

Another interesting page mentioning a similar issue is
http://blog.maniacmartin.com/2006/12/07/turning-a-modem-into-a-router/

good luck,

Pat