[ubuntu-uk] Request for Charitable suggestions.

Stuart Parkington mrsparks_maillists at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 21:51:39 GMT 2006

> My dream is to have a *high profile* charity which is interested
> enough to use ubuntu or have its own rebadged version of ubuntu!

How about a charity like NCH (National Children's Homes
(http://www.nch.org.uk/) for you "dream" Alan? NCH I would think would
fit the *high profile* category and maybe could provide an ideal set of
users who could use the Ubuntu family products.

In the first instance, I'm thinking more of the actual kids as users
vice the charity office systems. Edubuntu would appear an obvious choice
for a front-end PC lab/cyber cafe, allowing for educational use,
Inter/Intranet access, etc. With Ubuntu server being used on the back
end to web cacheing/proxy (Squid), Filtering (Dans Guardian) AV
(ClamAV), Intranet (Apache) a great range of Open Source solutions could
be demonstrated. (K)Ubuntu could be employed for adult/supervisor
workstations. The longer term goal to hopefully encourage adoption of
Open Source throughout the greater Charity.

We could put together a proof of concept of all this with fairly limited
hardware. Possibly using ex-corporate recycled machines donated by a
sponsor?

My two penny worth.

Regards
Stuart