[ubuntu-uk] digital camcorder

Adam Bagnall ajb35 at kent.ac.uk
Mon Dec 18 20:04:29 GMT 2006

norman wrote:
> Having recently changed from 6.06.1 to 6.10 I am not able to capture my
> videos using Kino as I used to. Could someone please advise me on
> either, what I can try to get Kino working again or, failing that,
> recommend some other application to do the job. Thanks
>
> Norman

Are there any error messages appearing in Kino? You need the raw1394
kernel module loaded with the correct permissions to grab from dv IIRC.
Add raw1394 to

/etc/modules

then, in

/etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules

change the GROUP part of the line starting with KERNEL=="raw1394", to
"video"

Editing both those files has to be done as root (using sudo). This
solved all my problems.

Adam.