[ubuntu-uk] ADSL problem

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sat Dec 16 21:35:27 GMT 2006

Dave,

Dave Briggs wrote:
> On 16/12/06, Toby Smithe <toby.smithe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It looks like your router is at 192.168.1.1
>>
>> Go there in a web browser, and see what the router console says.
>
> Hi Toby. Yep, that's right. Have already got the settings sorted as
> per Pipex's instructions. It's all working from Windows, so I don't
> think there is a problem there.

Could be a dns problem. Try ping'ing a known IP address from a terminal
window. www.ubuntu.com translates to 82.211.81.166, so try:

	ping 82.211.81.166

If that works, then try:

	ping www.ubuntu.com

and if that doesn't work you have a dns problem. Check out contents of
/etc/resolv.conf and then see if the addresses of the name servers are
reachable via ping.

Regards,
Tony.

E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold