[ubuntu-uk] Non-GPL Linux Kernel Modules Banned Starting January 2008 (??)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Dec 15 09:54:48 GMT 2006

Gargoyle wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2006, at 20:33, Pat wrote:
>
>> On 14/12/06, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
>>> Non-GPL Linux Kernel Modules Banned Starting January 2008

[...]
>However, on the other hand if the likes if ATI/nVidia do not
> release GPL versions of their drivers then linux will fail! Who is
> going to install an operating system onto their machine if it can't
> even drive a gfx card to it's full potential?

yes it would worry me if the initiative is apparently just left so
that whichever company controls (nvidia) etc then they also in reality
also control the success of linux. It is more about big business
politics than honour or legality, and companies such as M$ can sure
box clever.
--
ac
Kubuntu user#10391