[ubuntu-uk] Looking to jump into Ubuntu

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Dec 10 16:36:36 GMT 2006

Robbo wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2006, at 13:29, alan c wrote:
>> Guyan Perera wrote:
>>> Hi there !
>>> I just moved to the UK from Australia and I need a computer (laptop
>>> prefebly with wireless internet) I been reading bits and pieces about
>>> Ubuntu linux and I was wondering if there was some kind of laptop  
>>> specs
>>> which where ideal for using Ubuntu with. For example I saw some  
>>> videos
>>> with the Ubuntu screen spinning around like a cube and such..What  
>>> kind
>>> of graphics card or gaphics memory is needed to support that ?
>> Not any graphics card I have..... Certainly a high end type.
> The cube effect and other things are part of Compiz, you don't need a  
> high end card, just a card that has 3D support in Linux...
> The following links have supported hardware details..
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/Xgl
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager/AIGLX
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompositeManager

(3d support is something I have not got, so it is a bit 'high' for me 
  :-)  )

Linux registered user #360648

More information about the ubuntu-uk mailing list