[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu on dual processor

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Tue Aug 29 21:20:31 BST 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Steve Smith wrote:

Hi Steve,

> I'm trying to boot a Dapper disc as a live CD on a dual PIII 800
> Compaq ProLiant ML350.  It throws up:
> [4294669.909000] ..MP-BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC

Can you please file a bug at:

  https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+filebug

so that they can help you come up with a permanent workaround and get it
added.  Even better is if you manage to find a solution in your you testing.

Can you try booting with:

  noapic

and the like (although I have a feeling that that won't work).  The error
message you got appears to indicate that there maybe a physical connection
missing between the (legacy clock/time chip) and the CPU-based APIC
("Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller"), or that it some how requires
'connecting' by some magic on that motherboard.

	-Paul
--
High on a tall bridge, surrounded by noisy lorries.  Nottingham, GB