[ubuntu-uk] Sound woes - Dapper

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Tue Aug 15 07:04:04 BST 2006

Rather curiously at some stage last week the sound system on my laptop
seems to have died... the little sound icon (Gnome Volume Applet, I
believe) gives the message "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or
devices found" when one tries to fire it up, and the thing stays muted
(ie. little red x next to speaker icon) whatever you do.

I have tried re-installing various things from Synaptic (alsa,
gstreamer, gnome-media etc.) but nothing seems to fix it.

Any ideas what I need to do to get my sound back. or do I just have to
get used to the sound of silence?

Sean