[ubuntu-uk] RE:GPG

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Sep 16 11:56:04 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 05:32:38PM +0100, Nick McMahon wrote:
>Magnus Therning wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 04:46:58PM +0100, Nick McMahon wrote:
>>
>>>nevermind, google is your friend
>>>I *think* i have this sorted out now...
>>>one question though, what happens if i reinstall or something, what
>>>happens?!
>>>
>>What happens to what?
>>If you re-install your system will be pristine and new ;)
>>Are you wondering what happens if you lose your private key?
>>/M
>>
>yeah, thats what i was trying to say, what if i lose my private key,
>and i reinstall or get a new computer or all 3?

If you lose it, then it's gone. So, make sure you don't lose it. Make
backups, export it to ASCII and print it, whatever you need to do.

Just in case you should also create a revocation certificate so you can
revoke a public key in case your private one is broken or is lost. The
revocation certificate should also be kept safe, backed up, etc.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

You don't need to be faster than the bear which is chasing you. You
merely need to be faster -- or less tasty -- than the others running
with you.
     -- From "Maintaining system security"