Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Oct 27 05:37:10 CDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 05:04:58PM +0100, David M wrote:
>>>I'd like, when I login, for one of these terminals to run some commands
>>>automatically. I know these would go in some kind of login file (eg,
>>>the more-obviously-entitled-than-some .login, in some cases), but I
>>>don't know which.
>>
>> Just to clarify, you want *one* out of several bash instances to run the
>> commands?
>>
>> AFAIK anything you put in ~/.bash* will be run for *every* instance you
>> start, so you'll need some more magic.
>
>Aye, good point. :-(
>Actually, considering what I want to do, it won't really matter if each
>shell runs the commands as they're not state-changing.

Then just stick it in ~/.bashrc, or something similar that is sourced in
all interactive shells.

>> What types of commands do you want to run in the bash instance?
>
>All that I really want is for the terminal to display the contents of a
>"TODO" file when I login, to remind me of things I need to do!
>
>It wouldn't matter if each startup terminal did this, although I
>suppose it would be better if subsequently-started terminals didn't do
>this (is there a way for an X-terminal to tell whether it is started on
>startup or manually?).

What you could do is make sure it's only done once, i.e. for the first
terminal that's started. Sticking something like this in ~/.bashrc might
do:

 [[ -f /tmp/todo_done ]] || ( cat ~/TODO; touch /tmp/todo_done )

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

If it ain't dysfunctional, don't attempt pre-emptive preventative
maintenance on it.
     -- Mainframe Journal