[ubuntu-uk] accessing other drives on my computer.

Robert Schumann robert at cantab.net
Tue Oct 18 02:49:30 CDT 2005

In order to mount a drive, you can either use the mount command (type
"man mount" at the command line for more) or the graphical version which
is at System > Administration > Disks (much the preferred option!).

Mount works at the command line by typing
   mount -t [type] /dev/hdaX /place/to/mount
where [type] is vfat if you're dealing with Win 95/98/2000, /dev is the
device file and /place/to/mount is where in your filesystem you'd like
the disk to appear.  If your disk is Windows XP, chances are things will
be trickier since Linux is still having a bit of trouble using the NT
filesystem, NTFS (reading is fine, writing a bit of trouble).

Let us know whether it is vfat or ntfs, and how the graphical partition
mounter works for you.

Robert.