[ubuntu-uk] DVD-RAM Drive shows as CD-ROM drive

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 04:42:26 CDT 2005

On 17/10/05, Shelley & Oren <tsur at tsurfamily.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all
>

> Complete and utter noob here.
>

> I am definitely going ahead with a new installation of Ubantu 5.10 today.
>
> However, over the weekend, I was toying with the live CD.
>
> One thing I noticed was that Ubuntu showed my DVD-RAM drive (LG GSA-4160B)
> as a CD-ROM drive.

I have a DVD drive and it appears as a CD-ROM. It definitely *works*
as a DVD, however. We watch movies on Ubuntu all the time. When
running the live CD, if you put a blank DVD in there, does it offer to
write to it? Have you tried it? It might just work.

The CD-RW drive we have on a Windows PC actually works much better in
Linux than it does in Windows. I had a burn a CD recently and the
easiest method was just reboot the PC with the Breezy live CD, grab
the data via Samba from the Ubuntu PC and then burn it.

-Eamonn