[ubuntu-uk] Password resetting

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Sun Jul 24 03:38:33 CDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Keith Bowerman wrote:
> In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0507231957200.25721-100000 at starsky.19inch.net>,
> Paul Sladen <ubuntu at paul.sladen.org> wrote:
> > Select '(recovery mode)' during boot and type...
> Unfortunately I have several versions of Linux on my machine and log in
> using Xandros' menu, so I don't have access to the  Ubuntu boot menu.

There are many ways you can proceed.  First, you can make the bootloader
start Ubuntu using:

  linux single
  passwd $youruser

which means single-user mode.  You can also do:

  linux init=/bin/sh
  mount -o remount,rw /
  passwd $youruser

or you can mount the Ubuntu partition from one of your other installed
distributions, find the password hash in '/etc/shadow' and delete it.

	-Paul
--
The summer is short here.  Helsinki, FI