I would like to join Tz ubuntu community

Peter Hoeg peter at hoeg.com
Fri Dec 7 14:05:07 GMT 2007

Guys, I'm sorry about the rather late response.

Max,

Joomla or something similar would be a great idea. I want to document the
Ubuntu-friendliness of the various ISPs in the country as I've been
struggling with the BOL mobile solution lately and it would be brilliant
with a place to collect this information. Especially since Joomla to my
knowledge allows export of articles as PDF which means we could:

1) Contact the various ISPs for them to link to us (it would obviously be in
their interest) and thereby push our agenda, and
2) Get the ISPs to provide our documentation on their standard driver CDs to
customers.

The next area where we need to push would be the education and government
sectors - they're always cash strapped and I'm sure we can arouse their
interest.

How many of you guys are located in Dar? Would make sense to meet up and
agree on a way forward.

I personally think Ubuntu has a great potential in TZ and I would like to
use this as a way to contribute back to the community.

/peter

On 17/10/2007, Max E.K <max at kimambo.co.tz> wrote:

>  Yes Peter been  to
>
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/TanzanianTeam
>
> We could stick with that, but the thought of sponsored hosting is very
> appealing too. If we can get the space then its super, sorry to say this but
> i am  a joomla fanatic so
>
> My idea was as follows.
>
> For the main site we should run Joomla but also we should have a wiki
> attached to it so that users can edit the pages where we need contribution
> and stuff like that.
>
> To tell you the truth i havent had much experience with wiki but i can toy
> around with it and will let you know how it goes.
> What was your idea on this, what should be the way forward? do you have
> any plans, as for the content of the website and sorts of activities that we
> could conduct, I know  as you said on Tz homapage that we aim at doing the
> items mentioned below, but the point is do we have a really detailed plan in
> achieving those objectives. I would like to participate if you have one
> already laid down.
>
> " What we are planning on achieving:
>
>    1.
>
>    Creating a foundation for extensive use of Ubuntu in the public,
>    private and home sectors
>     2.
>
>    Advocating and promoting the use of Free Software in [image:
>    [WikiPedia]] Tanzania <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzania> with a
>    special focus on Ubuntu
>     3.
>
>    Conduct workshops to expose Tanzanians to free software through
>    hands-on sessions
>     4.
>
>    Distribute Ubuntu CDs and DVDs
>     5.
>
>    Coordinate and arrange translation of Ubuntu into Kiswahili
>
> "
>  with kind regards,
>
> Max.
>
> Peter Hoeg wrote:
>
> Max, I think it's a great idea to get a site going to coordinate the
> activities and attract people.
>
> There is however one already on
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/TanzanianTeam
> that I set up some time ago and I think we might as well just use that
> until further. Or do you have other plans for content we cannot host
> on the wiki?
>
> I don't know if you have read the following articles, but they might
> be useful later:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamHowtohttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoHostinghttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3544813
>
> Have you gents created userpages on wiki.ubuntu.com?
>
> /peter
>
> On 16/10/2007, Max E.K
> <max at kimambo.co.tz> <max at kimambo.co.tz> wrote:
>
>   Hello Sebastian and Peter,
>
>  I joined the list long time ago, it was too quiet. Until now, sorry for not
> introducing myself.
>
>  I am also a regular user of Ubuntu since version 5.04.
>
>  I am located in Mbeya working in Medical research and trying to push them

> [...]

/peter