Ubuntu Software partialy translated

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Fri May 20 21:54:18 UTC 2022

Hi all!

On 2022-05-19 20:25, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Le 14/04/2022 à 17:40, Gunnar Hjalmarsson a écrit :
>>
>> That sounds more like the translation template needs to be
>> updated.
>>
>> @Ken: Is there a checklist or something to which some steps related
>> to translation could be added so they are not overlooked?
>
> I've fixed the issue now, rev585 in edge should be properly
> translated, see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/snap-store-desktop/+bug/1969230
>
> It would be nice to have a checklist indeed, the template currently
> needs a manual update, which should be done when we rebase on a new
> serie. The snap also include exported translations from launchpad so
> we should regularly include a refresh of translations
>
> Since the template has only be updated now there might be new string
> that need translation on
> https://translations.launchpad.net/snap-store-desktop/trunk/+translations
> , ideally we should work on making that template exclude the upstream
> strings since we do a msgmerge with the gnome-software translations
> and the snap-store .po aren't updated on launchpad...

Sebastien and I talked about this yesterday, and the fix of snap-store
translation is still in the works to some extent.

Currently it shows 300+ untranslated strings for several languages,
while the gnome-software package is fully (more or less) translated. I
just experimented with the Swedish translations, and merged the
gnome-software .po file into the snap-store one and uploaded the
resulting file. That reduced the number of untranslated strings from 337
to 7.

I'd like to talk with Sebastien again to discuss what to do/recommend
now. In the meantime I suggest that you don't translate a lot of strings
manually which are already translated in gnome-software.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj