gnome-software vs ubuntu-software

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Sat May 1 15:34:10 UTC 2021

Hi Hannie!

On 2021-05-01 12:08, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
> On [1], Dutch translation of the gnome-software package, there are
> still 505 untranslated strings. Most of these are messages for
> flatpak, snaps or rpm-ostree and they contain text about fixes and
> improvements.
>
> In my view, it is totally useless to translate these strings because
> they will not show in the gnome-software application and are not
> useful to the average user.

You are absolutely right. I see now that the strings in the huge
<release></release> log here:

https://salsa.debian.org/gnome-team/gnome-software/-/blob/debian/master/data/appdata/org.gnome.Software.appdata.xml.in

were extracted to the translation template in LP. That makes no sense,
and at "Damned Lies" they exclude those strings.

For now I just uploaded a manually manipulated translation template to
hirsute, so suddenly it looks much better. ;) I need to ask for advice
on how to fix that more sustainable.

> Gnome-software 3.38 is 100% translated, see [2]. This should show all
> the strings in the ubuntu-software application in my ubuntu 20.04 in
> Dutch.

No. While Ubuntu Software is based on gnome-software, it includes
additional strings which can be translated here:

https://translations.launchpad.net/snap-store-desktop

Unfortunately the translation template there also includes all those log
entries (and I haven't access to fix that myself). But you can simply
skip the "data/appdata/org.gnome.Software.appdata.xml.in" strings for
now and translate other untranslated strings.

HTH

--
Cheers,

Gunnar Hjalmarsson