Ubuntu default keyboard layouts

Michael Bauer fios at akerbeltz.org
Tue Jun 6 21:02:08 UTC 2017

Sgrìobh Gunnar Hjalmarsson na leanas 06/06/2017 aig 21:43:

> The "strange" layout is named "English (UK)" and is the basic layout
> in the gb symbols file. I'd be surprised if that's not the one which
> shows up in the installer as default if you select a UK location for
> the time zone settings. I don't think it has anything to do with which
> language you select.
Basically this one?
http://ascii-table.com/keyboard.php/166
Ok... well, not ok (I don't get it why the Extended versions of en-GB
and en-US aren't used by default more) but at least I understand why
it's there now, thanks.

> No, that's not what I suggested. Assuming that there doesn't exist any
> special Scottish Gaelic physical keyboards, and since you still want
> to use an already existing layout, it wouldn't make much sense, and I
> have a feeling they wouldn't approve it.
>
> My idea was to add a variant, which would be identical with the layout
> you consider most suitable, but with another name. That way the
> Scottish Gaelic users would get a hint in the installer, even if the
> variant wouldn't be selected by default. However, I can't tell if they
> would accept that either. (They are currently aiming to reduce the
> number of layout options.)
Ok I think we both mean the same thing. While there are no special hard
keyboards, we could do with a layout based on en-GB Extended that has
some extras, like the Gaelic ampersand (⁊).

> That's about how the installer works. I'm not sure, but my belief is
> that the installer isn't sophisticated enough to do that without
> pretty extensive changes. Again: The keyboard layout it suggests
> depends on the time zone location, not the selected display language.
Ok, so it's a bit suck-it-and-see, but it's not inconceivable that a
layout specifically for gd-GB should get bumped up in the list if
someone switches the UI to gd-GB.

Thanks for all the explanations, finally get the feeling we might get
somewhere with the keyboard issue on Linux :)

Michael