New translation for Ubuntu

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 2 20:28:01 UTC 2017

Hi!

On 2017-06-02 21:49, Demuxer @gmail wrote:
> Hi team, Im from Guatemala and we have an interested group in create
> a new language option/pack.
> I use to translate some english strings and know how those process
> works https://launchpad.net/~demuxer but now at Ubuntu Guatemala
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GuatemalanTeam we have a large mayan people
> using Kaqchikel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaqchikel_people and we
>  would like to create this translation,
>
> What is the first step?

First I'd like to emphasize that translating Ubuntu into a new language
is quite a big undertaking. This check list may give you an idea of
what's involved:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/StartingTeam

One thing I'd recommend is that you talk with some members of the
Spanish translators team to get an idea of the amount of work involved
to achieve and - not least - maintain sufficient translation coverage to
justify the creation of a new language.

Otherwise, as a direct answer to your question, creating a locale for
the new language would probably be step #1.

> Is it possible to have a branch from the SPANISH - LATAM ? the
> translators are better with spanish than english, of course this
> would change in another Ubuntu Release, but we prefer 'spanish' as a
> base.

No, the translation infrastructure of Ubuntu does not allow for such an
arrangement. The original language is English, and all translations are
based on English directly.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj