Ubuntu phones and l10n

Michael Bauer fios at akerbeltz.org
Fri Feb 5 18:03:56 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

Ok, looking at my bright shiny brand-new Aquaris E4. After the recent
news on Mozilla OS, very refreshing to see Gaelic appear on the screen.
A couple of questions though, there's a few odd things which I think are
of interest to folks in general.

- the selection of available locales is somewhat weird. I mean, I'm
chufffed but apart from the usual big boys, there is Basque, Catalan,
Galician (unsurprising I guess since it's a Spanish manufacturer), Ug
(guessing Uyghur, it seems to show ISO codes for some locales), Occitan,
Asturian and Scottish Gaelic. What's weird is that Occitan is at 25%
completion or thereabouts but many of the hight up locales (Amharic,
Breton, Welsh) are not there. It's possible I guess that they were not
always as fully localized as they are right now but Occitan does seem an
odd one to be included over Welsh and Breton. Which is great for Occitan
- I don't want them out at all, just trying to understand the process.

- how often are translations pushed to the physical devices? Each minor
updates with new locales on each major, like Ubuntu Desktop? Just trying
to plan ahead - we have a number of issues (truncs above all) to fix and
would be good to know how often they land in updates

But pretty neat, otherwise (mind you, the instructions for running
Whatsapp look nightmarish!) - get the feeling this is a phone which we
should be able to recommend to Gaelic speakers in the near future! Big
thank you to all the devs!!

Michael

Sgrìobh marcoslans na leanas 21/01/2016 aig 22:12: