Phone translations policy proposal

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 24 08:41:18 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 3:41 AM, Ask Hjorth Larsen <asklarsen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> Although the release date is unknown, maybe a tentative deadline could
> nevertheless be provided, e.g., "translations committed before $DATE are
> guaranteed to be included".  Then the developers have a string freeze
> starting a few days before $DATE.  When the phone can be released at any
> date ("soon"), the developers should probably not be committing changes to
> the user interface (and thus strings) anyway.  Would this be feasible?

This is again a really good point, and I think we should be able to tie
that deadline to a particular milestone.

One point I've also been trying to make is the rolling release nature of
the phone, so while I think it will still be important to rally translators
around a concrete date, as translators we might need to change a bit of
mindset and not wait exclusively to the final deadline to start
translations –once we have a string freeze policy in place (which from the
conversations I anticipate to be of a rolling nature). This is how it's
worked for the Catalan team for the phone translations (we're a small team
too), and I believe the Spanish team tend to continuously translate so that
untranslated strings do not accumulate (granted, they're a much bigger
team).

> The reason is that a lot of us have the motivation to do a job before a
> fixed date, but not the time to keep it continuously at 100% with proper
> review procedures after that date.

Indeed, I can see that too.

> For the first release, many strings and perhaps even entire modules were
> added after our initial translation deadline.  I assume this was because it
> was the first release and things were not as well under control as they
> will be during subsequent ones.

Releasing the first ever phone was a huge effort from developers across
Canonical and the wider Ubuntu community, including designers, translators,
advocates and many more contributors. It was not only about writing code,
but about defining a product, creating new and essential infrastructure
(e.g. the system-image server to deliver OTAs), redefining the whole
platform (!) for secure app access, incremental updates and a whole set of
APIs and tools for app developers. It wasn't as much of not being under
control, but about juggling with priorities. But all that said, I agree
with the fact that a string freeze policy is necessary.

With this I mean it's been challenging to keep up for everyone: I myself
have limited time to work in translations (either in my time in Canonical
or as a volunteer contributor), the same as everyone, and I've spending
some if it to try to make it easier to have visibility on the translations
to focus on with the stats site [1] and generally sending calls for
translations and encouraging developers to do it themselves. What I'm
trying to say is that everyone can contribute beyond the realm of doing the
translations, but also with initiatives to make the work of translators
easier. This discussion is a good example, and I'd encourage anyone to
continue on this trend to start new discussions on the mailing list, or at
the upcoming Ubuntu Online Summit [2].

In summary, I think together we've managed to pull an amazing first release
with an impressive list of languages: 40 language packs are preinstalled on
the phone, which is no small feat! Ubuntu has a tradition of not staying
complacent and innovating, so while I think there's quite a lot of the
plumbing now done, the next release with the road to convergence will build
on these, but there is still a lot to do and everyone can help! :)

Cheers,
David.

[1] http://projects.davidplanella.org/stats/vivid
[2] http://summit.ubuntu.com/uos-1505/