Phone translations policy proposal

Milo Casagrande milo at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 23 12:36:39 UTC 2015

Hey David,

thanks for sharing, and working on, this.
It was really needed an is good to see it being shaped and formalized.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 8:53 PM, David Planella
<david.planella at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> This policy proposal is actually not much of a change. It is an attempt to
> be transparent about the procedure by putting it in writing along with the
> rest of the Ubuntu translation policies [1], to have an open discussion and
> gather input from translators, to address any thoughts or concerns, and come
> up with the final version. Without further ado, here it is - your feedback
> and input will be greatly appreciated:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/KnowledgeBase/PhoneTranslations

I find the policy clear and to the point, as it should be.
I have a couple of clarifications need though.

On the third bullet point of the policy, it is stated:

«In those cases where there is a contractual obligation to release a
set of languages with 100% coverage and either Ubuntu Translators have
stated they do not have the time to complete them or there is a
critical deadline, translations will be outsourced to a translation
agency.»

How would the part of the "Ubuntu Translators have stated that they do
not have time" work?
Is there going to be a call for translations (knowing maybe in advance
the language that need to be 100%) and a request of commitment by
those language teams? It can be hard and demanding on the team, but
knowing in advance the teams that are willing to commit even with
short notice could help in having a more community translated phone in
the first place.

I've seen more and more call for translations lately on the mailing
list, and they can only be good.

The other question I have is: what about those teams that are maybe
willing to translate the closed source applications that eventually
will be open sourced? (emphasis on "eventually will be open sourced")
Going back to the previous point, some commitment is needed, but maybe
it can be done. Of course, as long as the deadline is not "by tomorrow
we need 1k strings translated"... What usually are the "requirements"
for those translations? Is the code/translation hosted privately on
Launchpad or is it completely out of reach?

Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <milo at ubuntu.com>