Strange upgrade behaviour

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 28 12:55:08 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-28 13:16, Michael Bauer wrote:
> Sgrìobh ubuntu-translators-request at lists.ubuntu.com na leanas 28/11/2014
> aig 11:59:
>> Most users prefer that you can set the display language once and that
>> it's effective all over the desktop.
>
> Really? Care to quote your source on these figures? I think (on both
> sides of the argument) we make assumptions about user behaviour without
> bothering to ever ask the user.

Well, for several years I have followed l10n related Ubuntu bugs and
also l10n Ask Ubuntu questions closely, so my assumption in this case is
not completely unfounded. Can't recall that anybody has requested a
switch to per app setting of the display language the way you do now.

If you want to proceed, basically you would need to file a wishlist bug
for each application. There is one core application I can recall -
LibreOffice - which currently has this possibility built-in. Skype for
Linux has it also, btw, since it does not at all rely on the locale.

If you want to discuss this as an overall l10n design topic, I would
recommend that you use e.g. the ubuntu-desktop or ubuntu-devel-discuss
mailing list. That way developers who know about possible background
discussions will see it and can comment.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj