Statistics of use of a language

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 4 19:28:48 UTC 2013

Hi :)
That usage figure of 1-2% has been quoted for decades without anyone really looking into it.  MS keeps telling us that it's still only 1-2% according to studies they paid for.

Mostly it seems that any machine bought with Windows pre-installed counts as a Windows user.  Plus any new versions of Windows bought in order to be installed also count don't they?

How do we count the number of users, or the number of machines, in total!?  Number of users is very different from number of machines.  Do virtual machines or machines for testing count?  What about distro hoppers?  A single download might be used on many machines or may never get used at all.  So all the percentage stats seem extremely dubious to me.

About 50% around me seem to have some sort of mobile device, some have 2 or 3.  Only 1 person i know has a Windows smart-phone and i have not even seen a slate or Windows tablet at all.  I have seen a few iPads and iPhones but not many.  So i would say around 80% of the market uses Android, 15% Blackberry and the remaining 5% iThings.  Windows is in at under 1%.  So that is 99.something% using unix-based machines or 95% on Gnu&Linux if we want to exclude Apples.

I spend around 75% of my day in Ubuntu and 25% on various Windows machines fixing all the problems my colleagues have managed to create.  But i might have 5 Windows machines on and actively doing stuff such as defrags and only 1 machine on using Ubuntu.  It's the Ubuntu one that gets my normal work done.

Even on Windows people have found it's easier to get OpenSource products speaking their own language while MS stuff all seems to keep reverting to American (which results in people ignoring their spell-checkers).  Some entire countries have gone over to using "Ubuntu Clones" or other Gnu&Linux systems and sometimes that's because they want to use their own language and their own culture instead of paying an american company for translations that don't make a whole heap of sense.

Regards from
Tom :)