Tajik Language - Adding support for a new language

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Thu Aug 1 12:30:12 UTC 2013

Quoting Victor Ibragimov (victor.ibragimov at gmail.com):

> But how about Gnome and KDE? Recently, we did a great job for Gnome
> https://l10n.gnome.org/languages/tg/gnome-3-10/ui/, but I still see
> incomplete translations of those 100% files on Debian pages
> http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/tg  )))). How often PO files
> from the upstream are updated for Debian? Should I update those files
> manually or it is done automatically at a certain time?

It depends on several factors:
1) first of all, what is done in Launchpad has to go upstream
2) then, once upstream incorporates the translation in a new release,
that new upstream release has to be packaged for Debian (and indeed
Ubuntu as well).

Step 1) is something I don't really know how it's working and if even
someone in the Canonical/Ubuntu/Launchpad world guarantuees it really
happens.

If it does, fine. If it doesn't, then work is partly lost.

This is precisely the reason for which, we (Debian i18n folks) do NOT
encourage people to work on upstream translation in the downstream
distributions.

Translation of software has to be done with upstreams: KDE, Gnome,
LibreOffice and (imho) not in distros.

I know Launchpad/rosetta seems appealing, attractive, etc. But as long
as nothing guarantees that localization work done there ends up in
upstream projects (and then later in all distros : Debian, Fedora,
RHEM, CentOS, etc.) I would not encourage anyone to work there *unless
the upstream authors have chosen to use Launchpad as their development
and localization framework*.

As a consequence, when it comes at Debian i18n, we only focus on
things where Debian *is* the upstream: the installer, our native
packages (dpkg, apt, debconf and dozens of others), our webpages, our
communication material (such as Debian News), etc.

What you mention about Gnome is probably because not all of Gnome 3.10
is in Debian yet. Transitions for environments such as Gnome and KDE
take a very significant time for packagers to work on them (for
instance, KDE 4.10 just landed in Debian usntable) so that explains
why it takes time for your l1n work to end up in the distribution.