I'm here to help...

Pierre Slamich pierre.slamich at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 17:41:46 UTC 2013

Hi Henrique,
I'm discussing with Debian (see thread here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2013/03/msg00029.html ) for more
details on details to write an import script for the translated strings and
be able to contribute our work back to Debian.

Meanwhile, we also have an issue with a tool (Nightmonkey,source code at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nightmonkey, production at
http://nightmonkey.ubuntu.hu/) which enables us to peruse the Package
Descriptions. Unfortunately it currently relies on Launchpad's ability to
search, which is broken.
We've come up with a workaround, which is to extract the po files, and feed
them into a spreadsheet thus enabling search (
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B2Z-7cB-sMWOMjdXUzVpLVg1S0E).
What could be nice would be to modify Nightmonkey to mimic what those
spreadsheet do , that is to say, parse those po files, and provide the
search feature itself without relying on Launchpad search, and directly
linking to the individual strings on Launchpad.

Both projects would save hundreds or thousands of hours for all teams, and
greatly improve all teams' capacities to provide translated descriptions in
the software center.

Another project that is more of a strech goal would be to automate our
process to provide automated suggestions (that we did for French) to all
other languages (we're talking of even more saved time).
http://lite.framapad.org/p/ddtpUbuntu

Those are the three main technical projects I can think regarding
translations (the translation portal and statistics system being less
essential and less time saving)

Pierre

Pierre Slamich
pierre.slamich at gmail.com