UIFe for ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 26 07:49:01 UTC 2012

Al 25/09/12 23:23, En/na Dylan McCall ha escrit:
> Hi,
>
> I am requesting a UI freeze exception for ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/+bug/1056456
>
> This will replace 13 strings with new ones contributed by the nice
> folks at Canonical. This is mostly aesthetic, with some changes to
> content: we're adding a mention of the new webapps feature and
> removing some boring technical stuff. The welcome slide no longer
> mentions Unity by name and the bit about Rhythmbox no longer babbles
> about "advanced playback options." Sorry to be landing right on the
> documentation string deadline with this one, but once this is merged
> that will be it for the Ubuntu slideshow string changes.
>
> Thank you :)
>
> Dylan

Hi Dylan,

Could you list the exact strings that are changed? I'd like to see them
before +1'ing this one.

The Ubiquity Slideshow is not part of the documentation string freeze
[1], and I would have expected changes to have landed much earlier. Any
late changes in things like the installer or the slideshow leave much
less time for translators to complete the translations, and most
importantly, to test them.

As they are not part of the language packs, they cannot be tested often,
and more than one team (mine included) has been bitten by having
completed translations just in time, having them deployed, and ending up
with a glaring typo that can no longer be fixed.

Now it might well be that the delay has been caused by the Canonical
team giving you the strings very late. If this is the case, please let
me know and I'll make sure to make this point clear to them.

In order to ease the work of translators, would it be possible to
include translations from LP on every slideshow upload from now on? Or
even better, I think a while ago you set up a web page with the
localized versions of the slideshow that were updated regularly. That
was extremely useful. Would it be possible to set that up again?

Thanks.

Cheers,
David.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationStringFreeze