UIFe: Checkbox header image is wrong

Daniel Manrique daniel.manrique at canonical.com
Tue Sep 11 15:43:39 UTC 2012

On 12-09-11 10:12 AM, David Planella wrote:
> Al 11/09/12 15:32, En/na Daniel Manrique ha escrit:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm writing again to request a UI Freeze Exception for checkbox.
>> Currently checkbox in Ubuntu has a wrong header image as can be seen
>> here:
>>
>> http://people.canonical.com/~roadmr/header-bad.png
>>
>> We'd like to replace it with this, which is present in the development
>> version but got left behind during a merge due to an oversight
>> (apologies):
>>
>> http://people.canonical.com/~roadmr/header-good.png
>>
>> This new header image works better with the default Ubuntu theme and also
>> takes care of usability concerns, where testers were unsure if the
>> "icons" on the old header image are clickable.
>>
>> No translatable strings are involved or changed; the "system testing"
>> string on the right is already in the .pot file and didn't change. Also
>> there's no change to checkbox's functionality.
>>
>> The corresponding bug report is this one:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/checkbox/+bug/1044035
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Daniel
>>

> Hi Daniel,
>
> A couple of cycles ago I filed a bug requesting the header text to be
> translatable, which was eventually fixed in Checkbox.
>
> I now see the untranslated "System Testing" string in the header again,
> even though it is translated in Launchpad. So I assume that this has
> regressed and we're back to non-translatable static text (or perhaps it is
> a consequence of the of this bug).

Hi David,

This was an oversight on my part, for which I apologize now. I was under the
impression that the old "System Testing" string had been reused for this
screen. On closer analysis based on your comments, I see that indeed a new
string has been added, this was needed because, as you can see, the frame
where the string resides is on the right side of the banner and the words
appear in separate lines.

So I need to amend my request to both -translators and -doc to state "One new
string has been added". I rebuilt the .pot file on my tree and this is the new
string:

#: ../qt/frontend/ui_qtfront.h:635
msgid ""
"System \n"
"Testing"
msgstr ""

Also based on testing with slighly longer translatons from other languages, I
reduced the font size so those strings fit.

Thanks and apologies for the last-minute changes!