Application of UIFEs

Matthew East matt at mdke.org
Fri Oct 5 11:11:44 UTC 2012

On 5 October 2012 11:54, John Lea <john.lea at canonical.com> wrote:

> Forwarding to ubuntu-release,ubuntu-doc,and ubuntu-translators at Iain
> Lane's suggestion.

Please also take into account that documentation includes screenshots,
which are invalidated by changes to how the desktop or its components
look visually. We used to have two separate freezes, one involving
changes to strings, another involving changes to the user interface.
These have now been combined into a single "User Interface Freeze",
which applies to both types of change. I appreciate that not all
design changes will invalidate screenshots, but many of them have the
potential to, so this should be borne in mind as this discussion
proceeds.

This release has been absolutely horrendous from the point of view of
respecting freezes. Whatever solution is adopted, it is important that
there is not a general expectation that freezes are made to be broken
as there is a last minute rush to introduce fixes which could and
should have been raised much earlier.

Matt