Who speaks Frist: Human or Computer

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 7 12:10:34 UTC 2012

Hi :)
Ubuntu is about respect and equality with a bit of friendliness.

I think there are several different questions in the original question.  I am not sure we all agree on

Documentation and guides are hopefully meant to be equals talking to each other.  The guides and documentation are acting as though they are suggesting advice to a colleague of equal status or possibly advising a  superior.  In English we have things like
"You could try this" or "You might like to try" instead of "You must"

The computer and the operating system should be subordinate to the human user in much the same way as a pet is (at least ostensibly) subordinate to their human.  So,  dialogue-boxes are a subordinate asking a superior for clarification about orders the human has given the machine.

So, the guide lets the person know they can choose to click on "Open File".  The person then instructs the computer by clicking on "Open File".  The computer then lets it's boss know there are options by showing a dialogue box.  So, the guide needs to let it's equal, the human, know.

I don't think this is a simple issue.  The computer and the guides should be respectful towards the human user.  However, occasionally the guide needs to jump up and warn the user that they MUST do a certain thing.  This would be a bit like a body-guard shoving the boss out of the way in order to prevent the boss getting hurt.

Sorry, i'm not sure that helped at all!
Apols and regards from
Tom :)