Localizing Ubuntu Documentation images

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 5 16:25:53 UTC 2012

Al 19/01/12 17:43, En/na Simos Xenitellis ha escrit:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM, David Planella
> <david.planella at ubuntu.com <mailto:david.planella at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     In a conversation with other translators yesterday, the subject of
>     localized images in Ubuntu Docs came up.
>
>     We were wondering how to make it easier for everyone to be able to
>     provide images in their language, other than starting to submit
>     branch proposals to the Ubuntu docs bzr branch (not everyone is
>     familiar with bzr).
>
>     One idea that came up was to set up an Ubuntu One share with the
>     content of the upstream branch's ubuntu-help folder, i.e:
>
>     ast/figures
>     az/figures
>     bs/figures
>     C/figures
>
>     Once the documentation string freeze is over, we could open the
>     share and translators should only need to:
>
>     - fetch the source images from C/figures
>     - create their localized images
>     - copy then to their <locale>/figures folder
>
>     Then once the NonLanguagePackTranslationDeal__ine is reached, we
>     could submit a merge proposal against the upstream ubuntu-docs
>     branch with the contents of the share.
>
>     I believe this would make it easy for translators to provide the
>     localized images (just copy images to a folder instead of dealing
>     with Bazaar) and easy for members of the docs team to include them
>     (just need to accept a single merge proposal).
>
>     If you all think it could be a good idea, I'd be happy to set up the
>     share and organize all the rest.
>
>     Let me know what you think.
>

> On the issue of how to visualise what figures are needed or what needs
> updating,
> I think it's nice to have a feature similar to GNOME's, as in
> http://l10n.gnome.org/module/evolution/help/master/es/images/
> which shows in the first column the original screenshot and in the right
> column any provided localisations.

You've probably seen it by now on recent e-mails on the translators
list, but thanks to Kenneth Nielsen we've now got a documentation images
viewer that does exactly that:

     http://176.34.113.223/

Remember we're not yet in docs string freeze, so there might be changes
to the documentation and the screenshots until then.

> I like the Ubuntu One idea for the collection of the screenshots.

It's certainly not all there yet, but I think the docs viewer and Ubuntu
One will help translators more easily see and submit Ubuntu docs images
for localization.

Regards,
David.

--